RECIPE OF THE WEEK: Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers
These burgers won't leave you craving meat in any way! Packed with protein and essential nutrients, they are sweet, savory and will fill you up leaving you feeling satisfied.
- 2 cups mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup cooked unsalted black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup finely diced green onion
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder (if you want to add some spice)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced onion
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and cut sweet potatoes in half. Rub with olive oil and place face down on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake sweet potatoes until soft and tender to the touch - about 30 minutes - set aside. Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees.
- While potatoes are baking, cook the rice.
- Add black beans to a mixing bowl and mash half of them for texture. Then add sweet potato and lightly mash. Add 1 cup rice, green onion, almond meal and spices. Mix to combine. The mixtures should be moldable at this point, add more rice if too wet.
- Form mixture into burger shapes and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Serve on a bun of your choice with toppings of your choice and enjoy!