RECIPE OF THE WEEK: Slow Cooker Eggplant Parm
This recipe couldn't get much easier and it is a great for a weeknight dinner .. perhaps a #meatlessmonday! Instead of the traditional spaghetti to go along with most "parm's", try some spaghetti squash and you'll save yourself some extra calories and carbs!
- 2 large eggplant, sliced into 1/2" in diameter circles
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp mixed dry Italian seasonings such as oregano, basil, and parsley
- 2 cups low sodium pasta sauce
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Place sliced eggplant on paper-towel lined baking sheet and sprinkle each piece with salt. Let sit for 30 minutes and pat dry.
- Spread about a third of the sauce in the bottom of a slow cooker. Whisk together panko brad crumbs, garlic and Italian seasonings. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dip each piece of eggplant in eggs then dredge in bread crumbs. Lay an even layer of slices into the slow cooker. Top with more sauce and mozzarella. Repeat layers 2 more times. Cook on high for 4-5 hours.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and garnish with basil if desired.